Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mumbai City of Dreams and Life of the Struggling

Mumbai is way different than one can imagine.  The lack of wifi puts everything in a difficult position, being American your phone is your company and a vital part of your lifestyle.  Being in India the comfort of your phone is snatched from you.  Of course soon I will get a sim card for here but until then the emptiness is waiting to be filled.  Life on the other hand here is exactly as expected.  Hot and humid days sometimes overpowered by heavy monsoons that flood the city.  The weather is completely stereotypical and predictable to say the least.  The streets are crowded with as many people as they can fill and then some.  The poverty here is heartbreaking also.  Looking at the beggars and poor children is something that really provokes your mind.  The food is always either too spicy or too sweet, I no longer expect the perfect median.  The family here is extremely welcoming and helpful.  Trying their best to make their home mine and understanding with patience that the change is difficult for me.  Still everyone constantly asks with their stereotypical head nod (you Indians know this head nod i'm talking about) "Which do you like better huh? India or Amereeeca?".  This question replays in my mind over and over again which do i prefer?  Of course the easiest solution to every problem I've encountered here is America but then again I can't help but know that as soon as I leave I'll miss every bit of the smelly, stinky, crowded, loud, obnoxious, humid Mumbai that troubles me.  This I believe is the attraction everyone has to the city, the struggles are expected and great but is the pull greater?  Big enough to keep me here longer?  Or will it break me and send me back to the easy comfort of America where I'll be mended?  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment